Thursday, April 25, 2013

The First Day of Summer

The first day of summer (sumardagurinn fyrsti) is an annual public holiday in Iceland held on the first Tuesday after 18 April. In the old days, the Icelanders used the Old Norse calender which divided the year into only two seasons, winter and summer. Although the weather in April cannot be considered summer-like, after a long winter, the Icelanders still celebrate the first day of "summer" with parades, sporting events, swimming pool parties and family time.
On the first day of summer there´s no school and no work, so me and Nejra spent the day at the swimming pool and then later went out for, what we in Iceland call, an ísrúnt (icecream-ride). That is when we drive around the town for hours and eat ice-cream.
Here are a couple of detailed pictures we took today. Don´t get fooled by the sun and by us so lightly dressed, we were freezing our asses off.

Nejra is wearing a shirt from an Icelandic jeans shop (Gallabuxnabúðin)... yeah that´s actually what its called. My glasses from Lindex (Iceland), a necklace from H&M and a YSL inspired ring from Velvet.is.

Because its the first day of summer, I chose to wear my floral Zara blouse that to me screams summer.

-Amna













Like us on Facebook and follow us on Bloglovin!


12 comments:

  1. lovely :***

    xox
    bloisfashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the outfits and Ice cream YUMMMIE. shall we follow let me know XSE

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hej cure,otkud vi na islandu? :D

    Blago vam se!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely pictures!
    Do visit my blog and if you like,follow on GFC, Bloglovin and like my Facebook page ,leave a comment and i'll surely follow back!

    http://feistyfoxdiaries.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the bold ring babes! This is mega chic. So glad I clicked on your comment that led me back to your blog, your posts' contents are info and image juicy so expect to be seeing some regular comments from me. Btw, I just posted my Céline burgundy fraying leather fused top, quite an interesting piece I got on sale! Do tell me if I have successfully PROVOKED you ;)

    xx The Provoker
    http://www.the-provoker.com/2013/05/free-fraying.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. mislis kobajagi ljeto ko kod nas u norveskoj:( prelijepe su slikiceee

    ReplyDelete